Friday, March 7, 2008

What.....?? There's a crab in my shoe!!! or Another Costa Rican Adventure!!!

We had the privilege of taking another vacation to Costa Rica. Something tells me this will be a month long post! Be patient! We first went to the Osa Peninsula, very much a jungle! This is where we stayed, dad and I were in the bottom room and Gary and Annie were above us. At least there were screens on the windows this time! After a HUGE down pour, and I do mean huge - it's like the rain drops are as big as a baseball and it is very warm rain. Also after a full moon and a rain these beautiful (?) orange and black crabs are EVERYWHERE!! The paths are full of them, they are scurring all over....well we got back to our bungalo and had a visitor, I know the photos aren't great, but you get the idea. I reallly wanted dad to sweep him out and finally he did get a broom and we let the little guy outside.

I had washed my shoes out and set them on the bathroom floor and then decided, hey I think I'll hang them up, maybe they will dry out a little. I picked them up and thought there was a pebble rattling around in one of the shoes and as I looked (in very limited light) I saw a black and orange claw come creeping out of the toe of my shoe. Now mind you I remained very calm because we have people above us trying to sleep and said between clenched teeth "Randall, please come here I need help, there's a crab in my shoe!" He shook and shook the shoe and that little critter was NOT giving up his home that easy! So we ran hot water over him and wahoo, he decided get outa town! Dad manuevered him into a glass and we sent him outside with his brother, cousin or what ever! I managed to go back outside later only to have a few of them scurry right back in, yep, we had the broom handy!
This was how dad did some of his laundry!! The dark you see really is the great out of doors, very primitive, but highly functional!

Here is the one and only spidey we saw on the whole trip! I think he's a gem! (not on my shirt, only posed behind for a great photos!)
Here's the bed in our bungalo complete with bug net, and yes we used the net every night. I tucked mine in so you can imagine what a fight I had every time I needed to get up and go to the bathroom.....I know my kids are laughing now!
Here's a shot of our cute bano during the day, it really was a fun experience!
Sorry, I don't know how to get rid of this duplicate of dad!! Just enjoy it and know that there will be a lot more photos coming!



5 comments:

suni said...

i cannot believe you didn't scream when that crab was creeping out of your shoe...i know i would have!! yikes!!! looks like fun. when can we go with you?

janetha. said...

why did you post the best photo super duper duper tiny?!? annnyway, i AM SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK! now take me with you next time..

Nana Sue said...

I accidently reduced it too much...darn!

ermakaluso said...

I want to go next time as well! What fun pictures. I can't wait to hear all of the stories. Welcome home and see you in a couple of weeks!

linds said...

so when is the family trip? glad you guys are home.