Sunday, January 20, 2008

Words Rule!!

About 10 or 12 years ago Randy and I went on a Harley trip with some friends to Sturgis, South Dakota....home of the big Harley ralley they have in August every year. When we left Bountiful it was about 80 plus degrees and just kept getting hotter that day and the next. I can remember I had on jean shorts and the sweat would drip down the backs of my knees....real great image huh? Well you get the idea, it was HOT! As we got into Wyoming it started to cool off.....so much so that we had to stop at a local sporting good store and buy wool socks, hats, gloves, etc. It actually started snowing over one of the passes, brrrrr!
I love to read and because of the kind of Harley Randy had I was able to read novels on the back, it was a very smooth ride. I had finished one Michael Palmer medical thriller and was starting another when the weather got in the way of my reading! The snow turned to rain, we all stopped and got on our rain gear and this is the logo that was on the back of Randy's rain jacket (well almost, the "Motor Cycles" was in black so it was harder to see and the Harley-Davidson was in orange, much easier to see.
So here we are traveling down the highway about 70 miles per hour, in the rain and wind and I can't look up or down much less side to side without getting a face full of rain. Being the word freak I am and needing SOMETHING to do, I looked straight ahead and saw my opportunity to shine!!! I started making words out of the "Harley-Davidson" letters, beginning with the H so I could somehow keep track of the total number of words made (3 letter minimum for you Bogglers!) Wow, this was a challenge and it was FUN! So for all of you other word freaks out there (and you know who you are!!) I want you to get out your paper, sharpen your pencil and see just how many words you can make out of the "Harley-Davidson"letters, you can only use each letter how ever many times it appears in the logo, have you got it? Here's a hint the number I got was more than 200 but less than 500. You're going to need some serious down time to play this game, you don't need to post your words, only the number you get. The challenge is on!!

8 comments:

ermakaluso said...

You are so funny. I can totally see you doing this. It reminds me of when we'd make lists of homonyms. I'll have to have some serious downtime to try this, but I'll let you know!

Nana Sue said...

I know wasn't that crazy! I think it was Suni's post about Scrabble that got me thinking about this. I'm already excited for my next post if you this this is nuts, just wait!!

janetha. said...

i cant wait to start making my list! and by the way, mom, i think i am really lucky to be your daughter. some of my friends think i am crazy due to my love for numbers, words, palindromes, acronyms, etc...but i think it makes me more interesting and a lot more entertaining (well for myself at least!) anyway, i love you and thanks for the challenge, i will have to find some time to make a list.

Nana Sue said...

Yep, I knew you would accept the challenge with great gusto!!! Oh, by the way I am going to make a new list too so watch out! There will be a wonderful prize for the winner(s)!!

linds said...

i'm out....i don't have the nana sue gene, and that sounds like hell. good luck to you other bensons. may the best worder win.

suni said...

i'm sure janetha is bound to win this one...should i even try?! there mom, i commented! :)

Meghan said...

i think i may want in on this one too... i know i'm not a benson, but my mom taught me to love weird stuff too. anybody seen the old movie "sneakers"?

Nana Sue said...

Yes Meg, it is great!! I know you have all kinds of "spare" time to work on your word list haha!!