Thursday, July 24, 2008

Douglas Ray Hutteball-- October 4, 1923-July 24, 1991

This wonderful man is half of why I am who I am today! He was a hard working Ironworker, he endured more on the job accidents than most, he almost lost his life fighting in the war, he loved to camp, fish and hunt, he was an avid poker player, he played golf and got me interested in playing when I was 12, he LOVED his grand kids, he was proud of his son and daughter and what we've been able to accomplish, he taught me about tools and how to fix things, he taught me to hunt and fish and how to play cards, he taught me to be responsible and honest. He respected my desire to be active in the LDS church, he knew it would keep me out of trouble (and it did!). He smoked a pipe, could blow smoke rings, loved to drink coffee (black), and have a drink before dinner and sometimes after!

Our Doug is named after Gramps, he was so proud to have a grand son with his name! I have a company now and it is called Hutteball, Inc. The name used to really haunt me as a kid, I endured a lot of teasing, but I am very proud of my heritage and enjoy telling people where the name came from. My great grandpa changed his name from Hansen to Hutteball before he immigrated from Denmark to the U.S., needless to say, genealogy can be a real challenge!

He passed away 17 years ago today after playing 18 holes of golf. He didn't suffer and in fact probably didn't even know what hit him, what a way to go!!

He was not a perfect man, but he was my dad and I love and miss him everyday!

4 comments:

suni said...

i miss gramps too. thanks for reminding me of him...and how amazing he is.

ermakaluso said...

I totally forgot that the 24th was significant. And I just said that outloud and Eric astonishingly asked, "You forgot a date?!" I love Gramps and his smoke rings and I can't eat Lucky Charms or drink Squirt or V-8 without thinking of him and his condo on the golf course!

janetha. said...

even though gramps died when i was only 8 i still have fabulous memories of the fun times we had with him. he taught me to say the ABCs backwards and how to play checkers. i loved the smell of his pipe! miss ya gramps.

linds said...

i am so glad you posted about gramps. i hear all kinds of stories, memories doug has about his gramps. it sounds like doug inherited more then just his name, but his love for golf, poker, and all things outdoors.