Thursday, July 31, 2008

Jake's the Best!!

I had a terrific day today with this handsome young man, my oldest grandson! Jake turned 12 this past Saturday, July 26. He was off playing at Flaming Gorge with his other grand parents so we are still celebrating his big day! When I asked him what he wanted for lunch he said "well I haven't had sushi for a long time".......you're kidding right, when was the last time a 12 year old you know preferred sushi?! Well, not having any great sushi bars in B-town, he opted for Pei Wei's. We had my favorite the Pei Wei spicy salad and Jake ordered the Thai dynamite with shrimp. Neither dishes were too spicy on their own, but wow, when we finished BOTH dishes, I have to admit my mouth was firey hot!

So off we went in search of some new church shoes. Jake will be ordained a Deacon this Sunday and we wanted to make sure he had comfy shoes. We headed to Ross' just because my secretary, Susan, bought some darling shoes there and I thought hey they might just have some cool guy shoes.......no luck. Then over to Famous Footwear......again no luck. On main street in Bountiful is Barton's Shoes, they don't carry young men's shoes, but at least we got them to measure his feet, now we're on a crusade for a size 7. Both of us are wondering just why shoes are so hard to find. Not to be deterred we went to Kohl's and found a pair that would do if we absolutely couldn't find anything else. I suggested we go out to the Layton Hill's mall and try Mervyn's or Penney's.....on our way out of the parking lot we decided to give our trusty Super Target a go (neither one of us were very hopeful). Well were we ever surprised, first box we snagged were these good looking shoes: Wow! Aren't these just perfect for the Jakester??! He was glad to finally find some shoes that looked good and fit!

I am so impressed with this young man, he has great manners, even opening the door for me. He is a big brother to three other brothers and one sister, he loves them and takes time to play with them. He's a great example too. Jake loves to play golf, hunt, fish and play the Wii he just got for his birthday. He is a sensitive young man and has a lot of friends and realizes how important good friends are. He'll be starting seventh grade and is going to wrestle (and study!) He has a ton of family who love him. Jake ALWAYS gives me a hug and tells me he loves me, he has done this since he was just a tiny little guy, thanks Mike for teaching your sons to love and respect others!! Jake prefers fruits and vegetables to candy and water instead of soda (can you believe that!), he eats pretty healthy food most of the time, however he does love ice cream!!

Hey Jake, Happy Birthday, I sure do love you and thanks for spending a couple of hours with me today, it was a great date!!

4 comments:

suni said...

thanks mom for taking him...he had a great time and keeps talking about how much he loves his shoes!

janetha. said...

happy birthday to jake! dude, that thai dynamitte dish is both mine and marshall's favorite at pei wei! it is so good. although marshall will not eat there anymore cause he had some food poisoning experience and relates it to that..ANYWAY..totally off subject. hey bountiful DOES need a sushi bar. we should open one. i have the hook up on the best fish market in SLC! haha.. welp now i am just rambling. glad you found some shoes. xoxo.

suni said...

thanks grandma for taking me yesterday! and bouniful does really need a sushi bar like janetha said!

ermakaluso said...

Happy Birthday Jake! It seems like you are still 5 years old, but by the size of your foot, I guess not!